CHESS ELIGIBILITY SQUABBLE BREAKS UP C-H-Y-P LEAGUE

Harvard, Yale, and Princeton Withdraw in High Dudgeon

As a direct result of disagreement over eligibility rules, the C.-H.-Y.-P. College Chess League, made up of Columbia, Harvard, Princeton and Yale, after existing for 32 years, was broken up at a meeting of graduates and undergraduates held last Sunday in New York City. Of the 32 annual tournaments, Columbia has won altogether 19 times, Harvard nine, Yale twice, and Princeton once, and the thirty-second contest resulted in a tie.

There has been much discussion in the last few years as to the eligibility of men in the graduate schools and of professionals. Although the Columbia representatives present, A. A. Link and Lester Samuels offered to concede a slight change in the eligibility rule, the representatives of the other three colleges felt that the question would not be satisfactorily settled in this way. Accordingly at the conclusion of the meeting Mr. Link gave out the text of the resolution adopted, which practically put an end to the organization: ""Resolved, that Harvard and Princeton do withdraw from the C.-H.-Y.-P. College Chess League and that, because of their action, Yale do likewise."

The disbanding of the organization came almost immediately after Columbia's three consecutive victories over Harvard, Yale, and Princeton in the play for the Challege Cup.