WILL NAME HOLDEN TWINS LIONEL AND MOWER HALLS

Known to Classmates Here as Johnny Harvard -- Mower Hall Named for Donor

The two dormitories flanking Holden Chapel, popularly dubbed the Holden Twins and designated in the current catalogue as South Holden and North Holden, are, it became known yesterday at University Hall, officially--to be named Lionel Hall and Mower Hall. Lionell Hall, the dormitory adjoining Harvard Hall, is to be named for Lionel de Jersey Harvard '15, and Mower Hall receives its name from Thomas G. Mower, in memory of the father of the donor, Sara E. Mower.

Was Senior Class Poet

Lionel Harvard, who was killed in action in France in 1918, was a descendant of the brother of John Harvard, and from the time of his arrival at the University in 1919 from his native England, he was popularly known as "Johnny Harvard". He was prominent in undergraduate activities and was chosen Senior Class Poet. For three years he sang in the quartet of the University Glee Club. He was also in the Signet, the Hasty Pudding, the Dramatic Club, and the D. U. Club.

Immediately after his graduation, he hurried to England to an officers' training camp. Commissioned in 1915, he was twice promoted and was killed in action at Boisleux-au-Mont on March 30, 1918, one week after having been appointed captain.

Tells of Incident in Trenches

The type of man that Lionel Harvard was is evidenced by a letter received about four years ago at the office of the Committee on Admission, and since lost, telling why a certain English captain proposed to send his two sons to Harvard. The letter quoted another letter from the Englishman, which ran, in substance, as follows: "You may suppose it strange that I purpose to send my two sons to Harvard, as I have never been to American and I know little about the States.

"During the war I met a graduate of Harvard, indeed he bore the Harvard name. I never saw his face distinctly while he lived, for we met only at night where our sectors adjoined. I caught only such glimpses of him as were revealed when rockets and star shells illuminated our meeting place. We had frequent talks, and he told me of his life at Harvard College and all that it meant to him.

"I am sending my two sons to Harvard in the single hope that they may get there something of what he got, but most of all that they may grow to be men like him." That man was Lionel Harvard.

He is the only member of the Harvard family with the exception of John Harvard himself whose name has ever been mentioned in a University Catalogue. He was, however, married in England while at home on leave, and he left a young son, Peter, whose mother plans, as the father had wished, to send him to Harvard to complete his education. He is now nearly ten years old.

The offer of the dormitories is to be named Mower Hall in accord with the wishes of Sara E. Mower. She bequeathed to the University a fund with the request that it be used for a building in the memory of her father. Thomas G. Mower of the class of 1810. The fund is not fully sufficient for the cost but the balanced as well as the entire cost of Lionel Hall are to be paid for by gifts made for this special purpose.