DEBATERS TO FACE DRY ACT QUESTION

Holcombe to Preside Over Meeting With Pennsylvania Here--Question Considers Light Wines and Beers

The members of the debating squads to face the Pennsylvania and Williams forensic teams next Saturday night in the second triangular meeting of the Eastern Intercollegiate Debate League, were announced last night by Coach A. G. Youman 1G., instructor in English, following the final trials held in Harvard 6. Two speakers and an alternate were chosen to represent the University on either side of the prohibition question which has been worded, "Resolved, that the Volstead Act, amended to allow the sales of light wines and beers, would be preferable to the act in its present form."

'Pennsylvania Visits Here

The affirmative team which will journey to Williamstown next Saturday will be composed of H. W. Rose '29, first speaker; I. J. Fain '27, second speaker; and D. E. Scoll '28, alternate. The negative squad which will argue the question with the Pennsylvania debaters, is composed of F. W. Lorenzen '28, first speaker: D. W. Chapman '27, second speaker; and Mark Winkler '28, alternate. Lorenzen and Scool are the only veterans of the first triangle victory over Brown and Wesleyan.

Professor A. N. Holcombe '06, Professor of Government, will preside at the debate with Pennsylvania in Paine Hall of the Music Building next Saturday night, it was announced last night by D. W. Chapman '27, President of the Debating Council. The three judges of the contest will be announced Saturday.

The question for the coming debate is regarded by the contestants and the coaches of the teams as the most timely of the year. The subject is receiving a great deal of comment in periodicals following the recent Episcopal movement and the agitation in Congress for the creation of a separate enforcement department for the prohibition amendment. The University debaters are now tied for first place with the Yale and Dartmouth squads.