"SHOOT IF YOU MUST--"

The Princess Tarhata Karam, the niece of the Sultan of Sulu who attended the University of Illinois, has returned to the Philippines and is now by the side of her husband in the up rising of which he is the head. He is Datu Tahil, a high dignitary of the Moros, a people who have always been rebellious against the American rule; and her presence in the zone of fighting is said to be a serious problem to the Government troops who realize that if they should happen to injure the Princess there would be a general revolution among her people.

The episode has caused much consternation among those who knew her at Urbana, where she had adopted bobbed hair, short skirts, and other marks of the superior western civilization. They find it hard to understand how, after being exposed to the cultural advantages of the Illinois university, she could so far revert to barbarism as to marry a prince of her own race, and what is more, to stay by his side when he is in danger. There are some, however, who admire the Princess for doing so, when she might be living in the luxury of Hollywood, writing for the syndicated papers and endorsing cold creams. One sympathizes with the difficulty of the troops, who must put down the rebellion, without firing on a lady; she promises to be the Barbara Frietchie of Zululand.