INELIGIBLE CREW WINS ROUGH HANDICAP RACE

FRESHMAN OARSMEN INCREASE LENGTH OF TRIALS

Turned back from the Charles River Basin course again by turbulent seas, the two University crews and the Ineligible eight voyaged upstream yesterday afternoon for a two-mile handicap race.

Pulling powerfully through waves that shipped at times over the bow and into the shell, the first boat, stroked by captain John Watts '28, failed by a length and a half to overtake the Ineligibles who had been granted an eight length lead at the start. The second crew, paced by James Lawrence Jr. '29, finished in a dead heat with the first eight after getting away from the mark with a three length handicap.

The two Crimson combinations rowed a steady 30-stroke beat most of the distance, with L. D. Parker '30 keeping the Ineligibles to an even 28 strokes to the minute. The weather conditions, even on the up-river stretch between the Arsenal Bridge and Gerry's Landing, were of a sort yesterday to afford a gruelling test for the oarsmen.

Coach E. J. Brown '96 is now getting his men in shape for the race with M. I. T. on May 5 and will stage another trial contest in the Basin on Saturday to condition his crews for the straightaway pull. After this work-out, he will select the coxswain for the first University crew. The four leading candidates for the steersman's post are, at present, D. F. Baum '30, J. H. McCollum '28, C. H. Pforzheimer '28, and L. L. Wadsworth '30.

The Freshman crews, under the tutelage of Coach H. H. Haines, have been confined recently to short practice brushes on the straight stretches below the Weld Boathouse, but have revealed power in these work-outs. They have been supplied with a training table in the Smith Halls Dining Room this week and all first-year oarsmen will cat there for the remainder of the season.