W. R. ARNOLD DIES OF HEART ATTACK

Came to Andover Theological Seminary in 1908--Was Noted for Book on "The Meaning of Ephor"

William Rosenzweig Arnold, Hancock Professor of Hebrew and other Oriental Languages, died suddenly yesterday as a result of heart failure. Funeral services will be conducted by Dean Sperry and Professor W. W. Fenn in Appleton Chapel tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock.

Professor Arnold, who was born in Beirut, Syria, in 1872, received his degree from Ohio Weslyan University in 1892 and was graduated from the Union Theological Seminary in 1895. The following year he was granted a degree of Ph.D. by Columbia University and became Curator of the Department of Antiquities of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. He taught at the Andover Theological Seminary, and from 1908 to 1922 was Andover Professor of the Hebrew Language and Literature at Harvard. From 1922 to his death he held the Hancock professorship, which is one of the oldest in the University. He is best known for his book on "The Meaning of Ephor", and at the time of his death, was working on a treatise of some portions of the Book of Judges, which was nearly ready for publication.

He was recognized as one of the ablest lecturers of the University and his reputation as a scholar attracted many graduate students to Harvard.