BUILDING STARTS ON THIRD HOUSE IN MAY

Two 12-Inch Mains Will Carry Steam Through University--25,000 Tons of Coal Used Annually

Following the substitution of the Cambridge Electric Light Company's plant at the Western Avenue bridge, for the College heating plant, south of Smith Halls, work will begin on March 3 on the wrecking of the present plant, according to a recent statement made by G. K. Saurwein University engineer. By May 1, the construction of the third house unit, to be located on the power plant site, will be under way.

The principal steam mains from the College plant, which was purchased from the Boston Elevated Railway Company, about a year ago, run north beneath the Freshman athletic building, through the Yard, and as far as Conant Hall. Another main crosses the Charles River on the Weeks Bridge to supply the Business School and the Soldiers Field buildings. The Weld and University Boat Clubs now have individual heating systems, but may later be added to the central system

Steam from the Cambridge Electric Light Company's plant will be supplied to the University by two 12-inch mains installed in a tunnel beneath the Memorial Drive sidewalk. This tunnel connects with the Business School main at a point between McKinlock Hall and Dunster House, where the steam will be divided between the Business School, and the mains going north.

Calculations show that from 100 to 125 pounds pressure to the square inch at the plant will be required to deliver steam with adequate pressure to the most remote buildings of the University. The present plant supplies the College with approximately 400,000,000 pounds of steam per year, requiring about 25,000 tons of soft coal.