CRIMSON COMPETITION WILL START ON MONDAY

MANY INTERESTING SIDES OF NEWS GATHERING FOUND

With an initial gathering at 7.30 o'clock in the President's office next Monday evening, the CRIMSON will open News, Business, and Photographic competitions to Sophomores, and an Editorial competition to Juniors. All of the competitions will last eight weeks, after which the first Freshman candidates will be called out. The following article is intended exclusively for News candidates, and will be supplemented in the next few days by articles on the other departments.

For a long time the CRIMSON competitions for the News Board have been considered extremely difficult, perhaps thus enhancing the prestige of those who finally become editors. However, careful planning of one's time can do wonders toward simplyfying and making easier the competition, and the time formerly wasted can be converted into more useful effort.

A student trying out for the News Board will find that he is by way of obtaining a very real and practical education. Starting out with a few assigned routine sources of information, the intelligent and ambitious candidate soon begins to delve into the vast resources of the University. Not only does he come into close contact with the different departments scattered throughout Cambridge, but in the natural course of his search for news he makes connections with men, both prominent and otherwise, which often in themselves repay the effort of eight weeks' solid work. Nor are these acquaintanceships confined to the University, as all the News candidates are urged to obtain interviews from leading figures throughout the country. The candidate learns how to express himself concisely and intelligently when seeking news and eventually how to order his thoughts clearly in writing up the article.

In point of fact, experience of this kind in rapid and clear writing is of material aid in studies, and incidentally all candidates are expected and required to keep off probation.

Almost all the work is done in the afternoon or evening. There is a real satisfaction in seeing one's own article appear in print read by two thousand pairs of eyes, and the candidate in several ways gets much more out of the experience than the print which the readers may digest over their coffee the next morning.

It is well to look beyond the opportunities and advantages of a candidate to those which the same man will have should he become an editor. Besides acquiring a very definite interest of his own in college life, an editor has the opportunity of making many friends among the members of the different boards and enjoying the various dances and punches. Nor should we forget his opportunity of eventually becoming one of the important officers of the paper. Moreover, the more attaining of an editorship often leads to other unforseen and unexpected advantages.

On the whole, this article has not attempted to minimize the work entailed in a News competition, but rather has stressed its opportunities and advantages. All men are welcome to attend the opening meeting even if they have not definitely made up their minds as to whether they will come out