F. J. TURNER, PROFESSOR OF HISTORY, DIES AT 71

IS AUTHOR OF NUMEROUS WORKS ON AMERICAN HISTORY

Frederick Jackson Turner, Professor of History, emeritus, died yesterday at his home in Pasadena, California, where he was a research associate of the Huntington Library. He left Harvard in 1924, and was 71 years old when he died.

Professor Turner, who was born at Portage, Wisconsin, graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1884, and after a year in newspaper work became an instructor at the same institution. He then took a graduate course at Johns Hopkins, returning to the University of Wisconsin as an assistant professor of History. He held this position until he came to Harvard in 1910.

In 1910-11 he was president of the American Historical Association, a corresponding member of the Massachusetts Historical Society, and the American Antiquarian Society, and the Illinois Historical Society. He also delivered lectures before Phi Beta Kappa and other organizations at the universities of Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, and Indiana.

Among contemporary historical authors, Professor Turner held a prominent position. In the "American Nation" series, edited by A. B. Hart '80, Eaton professor of the Science of Government, emeritus, he contributed a volume entitled "The Rise of the New West" and in 1920 his "Frontier in American History" was published. He also edited "The Correspondence of French Ministers and Agents in the United States, 1791-1797", as well as various collections of American documents.

A large number of monographs by him include "Character and Influence of the Fur Trade in Wisconsin", "Western State-Making in the Revolutionary Era," "The Policy of France Toward the Mississippi Valley," "The West as a Field for Historical Study," and "Dominant Forces in Western Life."