High Birth Rate Factor in Social Development Leading to Hitler's Success, Says Rosenstock

Revolutions Of Future To Be On Economic Developments, Not National Causes

"I believe the success of the Hitler government was made inevitable by the Treaty of Versailles and, amongst other things, by the biological and social development of Germany during the years 1902 to 1914," said Eugen Rosenstock-Hussy, visiting professor of legal history and government from the University of Breslau, when interviewed by the CRIMSON yesterday. Professor Rosenstock is giving a series of twelve lectures on "The Revolutions in Western Civilization" beginning Tuesday, in Emerson F. The lectures will be given every Tuesday and Thursday and will be based on Professor Rosenstock's book "Dle Europaischen Revolutionen."

"By the social and biological development of Germany, I mean that during the years mentioned the birth rate was exceptionally high. The men and women born in this period naturally were not participants in the war, but severely felt the effects of it. They were the famous starving children of Germany. They felt their hardships more acutely than did the hardened soldier, and achieved maturity with an inborn hatred of the government that caused their troubles, and of the treaty that it signed. It is only natural that they were ready to accept a new government such as Hitler's, that offered them better conditions in every way. In present day Germany there are 16 voters that never went to war, but felt its results, to every nine that actually saw action.

"The present Fascist developments, and other movements of that kind are not real revolutions. They are fruitless and sterile. The average man of today is too flat; has not the 'springs' with which to drive himself into the future. He talks always of his ancestors; to get anywhere he should change inheritance to heritage, he should become an ancestor himself. The people of America seem to be rising out of this flatness better than those of any other nation they are coming to realize that the present day is equally, if not more, thrilling and interesting than the past.

"I do not want to become too much of a predictor, but I do believe that the next revolution will not be concerns with national causes, but will be base on economic developments."