"Temperance Gone High Hat," or Allied Youth Movement Uses New Methods Against Liquor

Carrie Nation Tactics Give Way Before Social Persuasion Says Mrs. Moody

The shades of Ella Roole faded rapidly yesterday as attractive Mrs. Blsir Moody of Detroit, lightened the quiet background of the CRIMSON office with her youthful appearance. This was no Carrie Nation who came to speak on the evils of liquor; the girl in the brown and tan sports suit had charm, a new avenue of approach, which the recently formed Allied Youth Movement or, as one of her aides described it. Temperance Gone High Hat is using against liquor.

"We are too smart to be goats of the attractive propaganda of bre1wers and distillers," she said. "It is they who have made the cocktail hour smart and popular. Some of our wet friends are now talking about education for enlightened drinking but allied youth feels that if one is enlightened," one does not care to drink. It is the first taste of alcohol which sends the drunkard on the downward path. We feel somewhat superior to these who pay good money to slide down to hill. No we do not want prohibition back again we only want to tackle it from a personal point of view."

As Mrs. Moody Moody for breath we were breath aware that the statement of her side about her aide was true. She continued. This is an original kind of movement. Among our 5000 members are many Junior Leaguers and young socialites. We make no distinction however, between race, creed, o party. We are young modern up-and-coming the country club type that are doing things in contrast to the old-style temperance reformers. Our social programs, without the use of alcoholic stimulants of course are of a varied nature such as casting canoeing hayrides beach parties, beach parties, and evening dances.

"On yes, of course there are both girls and boys in our organization," she laughed. "If you are thinking of becoming a member we will give you a program of education. After visiting hospitals and courts. We discuss in forums alcoholic on the system. Thus you get all the data which you need to make up your mind. After you have joined, you become allied with a competing post which provides the entertainment and spreads the truth about liquor. It is a grand chance to chance yourself with the temperance cause without the sledgehammer type of reformer. Do sea if any of the boys at Harvard aren't interested." A last smile and before we knew it. We were left with but a faint aroma to remind us of this amazing woman's presence.