Minor Week-end Sports

Boxers Will Have Tussle With Pennsylvania

Saturday was a red letter day for the Harvard Varsity natators. The mermen defeated Dartmouth by the overwhelming score of 56 to 15, and in addition Graham Cummin, Coach Ulen's Sophomore backstroke ace, broke the national intercollegiate record for the 150-yard backstroke event.

Cummin had been hoping to better the mark all season, but only last Saturday, closely pressed by his teammate Captain Bob Fisher, did he succeed in doing it. The old record, 1 minute 38 seconds, was made in the Harvard pool in 1930; the new standard is 1 minute 37 2-5 seconds.

Charlie Hutter took his customary firsts in the 50 and 100-yard free styles, encountering little opposition. Another winner was Dario Berizzi in the 220-yard free style, and Frank W. Coleman, Jr. '38, paced the field in the 440 free style.

The only two Dartmouth victories came in the 200-yard breaststroke, in which E. K. White of the Green showed the way to Bob Heskett and James Munroe of Harvard, and in the drive, where Captain Smith of Dartmouth repeated his triumph of last year to surpass Fitts and Merriam.

Andover outpointed the Harvard yearlings in the preliminary, despite the efforts of James L. Caldwell, who won both the 50-and 100-yard free style races.