Frank A. Goodwin, Registrar of Motor Vehicles, Says Students Are Better Drivers Than Professors

Also Feels Women Are Safer on the Road Than Men, Drunken Drivers Biggest Problem

"Professors are worse drivers than their students," admitted Frank A. Goodwin, Register of Motor Vehicles in Massachusetts, as he went on to say that all the professors he had ever met had been so absent minded that he would never ride in the same car with them.

"Contrary to the usual opinion, women are safer drivers than men. Twice as many of the latter have licenses, but they also cause 70 per cent of the serious accidents. Men drive faster and more, but are more dangerous.

Who is Drunk

"It is very hard," continued the Registrar, as he changed to the subject which is causing his department the most trouble today, "to judge when a driver is intoxicated. The famous definition of Judge Dewey, who later landed in an insane asylum, which stated that he is drunk who falls to the floor and cannot rise to drink some more' is adhered to by some of our magistrates, while others swing the opposite way and rule a driver intoxicated if he had had a single drink.

"I myself feel that a man is drunk when his power to react quickly is impaired. A man ought to have all his faculties ready for any emergency, and emergencies are constantly arising on the road.

44 Pedestrians Tight

"Of the 795 people killed in this state last year, 89 were by drunken drivers and 44 more were drunken pedestrians who fell in front of cars. 5000 drivers lost their licenses for being intoxicated last year," warned Goodwin as he said that all ages drink and drive.