KILLAM ENDS WORK IN ARCHITECTURE SCHOOL

HIS DISCIPLINE BUILT UP SCHOOL OVER 29 YEARS

A member of the School of Architecture since 1908, Charles W. Killam wil retire from active teaching next September 1. Poor health causes him to give up the professorship that he has held since 1924.

In announcing Dr. Killam's retirement, Dean Joseph Hudnut, of the Harvard Graduate School of Design, stated Dr. Killam will continue to assist the school in an advisory capacity and will take active part in the Faculty Councils.

Hudnut's Statement

"Since 1908 Professor Killman has been in charge of the courses in building construction and architectural engineering in the Department of Architecture at Harvard," Dean Hudnut said.

"During this period, and during the period from 1918 to 1922 when he was chairman of the Council of the School of Architecture, Professor Killam has conducted the work in his field with great distinction. He has greatly augmented the efficiency of the instruction in architecture and his methods have been widely copied in other American schools of architecture. The thorough discipline in the technique of building which has become characteristic of Harvard graduates in architecture is largely due to the skill and devotion of Professor Killam."

Outside Interests

Professor Killman was born in Boston on July 20, 1871. His interests outside the School have included an active part in the American Institute of Architects, the Boston Society of Architects, the Cambridge Planning Board, and the President's Conference on Home Building of 1931. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.