High Scoring Indian Team, Reputedly Strong on Plunges, May Use Trickery

Coach Blaik Knows Baffle-Ball Deception--Hasn't Shown Any This Season

By The Dartmouth, Football Editor, and Mel Wax

From the hills of Hanover a Dartmouth eleven unlike any produced by Coach Blaik in his three year tenure as the Big Green's chief braintruster will descend up on the Harvard Stadium Saturday to do battle with a much publicized and reputedly powerful Crimson team.

In past years opponents knew what to expect when they met Dartmouth. They could be certain that the Indians would be well versed in the fundamentals of the game, they would be powerful blockers and hard tacklers, they would rely mainly on well executed and smoothly functioning deep reverses for most of their yardage, their pass-attack would be comparatively weak as would their passing defense.

This year the set-up is entirely changed. The blocking and tackling in the four games played to date have been ragged, the famed deep-reverses seem to have taken a back seat to the Dartmouth passing attack, and the pass defence has stopped everything that has come its way.

Despite the 39-0 victory over Bates, 34-7 win over Amherst, the 40-0 run-away over Springfield, and the 41-0 scalping of Brown, the Indians have not shown a thing in the way of deception or variety of plays.

Probably the most difficult job of all time has been that of scouting the Indians this fall. In the Brown game, for instance, Dartmouth used but 10 plays during the entire first half of the game, and relled on only 6 in the second half.

That's really a minimum of plays for a team, annually one of the most deceptive in the country, and has a bag of tricks equaled by few, if any, teams in the East. But it was not only the small number of Big Green plays that has made scouting then so difficult, but the fact that not one play demonstrated has had the least semblance of being deceptive or unusually "tricky."