Yardling Swimmers Outsplash Yale to Bring Undefeated Season to a Finish

Five Records Broken as Cutter, Kendall and Burns Sweep Competition

Paced by Captain Bill Kendall of the Australian Olympic Team, and Eric Cutler of Noble and Greenough, the Freshman Swimming team slipped down the pool last Saturday evening to take away a 42-33 record-breaking splash-fest at the Indoor Athletic Building.

Before a large and responsive gallery, Larry Peterson's charges became the first undefeated Harvard team in ending their 11-meet winning streak. One Yale, four Harvard, and five dual meet records were broken in the competition. These went to Captain Bill Kendall in the 50 and 100-Yard Free Style with the times of 24.s and 53.40s respectively; to Eric Cutler in the 220 and 440-Yard Free Style with the times of 2:18.2s and 5:4.2s respectively; and to Burns of Yale in the 150-Yard Backstroke with the time of 1:42s.

With coach Peterson cleverly shuffling his swimmers, the Freshmen, because they were superior sprinters, remained in the lead throughout the meet, taking five of the nine events. The results of the individual events were as follows; Harvard took first and third in the 220-Yard Free Style; first and second in the 50-Yard Free Style; first and second in the 100-Yard Free Style; first in the 440-Yard Free Style; and first in the Relay. Yale took the Dive, the Medley Relay, the Backstroke, and the Breaststroke. As a climax to the victory, Coach Peterson was tossed into the pool and then presented with a watch.