RADCLIFFE GIRLS EAT HASH TO RAISE MONEY

OTHER COLLEGE TO RAISE OWN REFUGEE FUNDS

Harvard is not alone in raising money for student refugees. Many other colleges have already set up committees and are collecting funds. With these beginnings it is expected that a co-ordinated national drive can be organized, with every college supporting one or more students.

Radcliffe took action before Harvard. Immediately after the joint protest meeting on Wednesday, November 16th, a committee was formed, Miss Ada L. Comstock, President, came out in approval, and Radcliffe College promised to give tuition to any students whom the girls could support by the funds they raised. A minimum goal of a thousand dollars was set, and the latest report is that it has already been topped by variout desperate measures. In particular, a week ago last Sunday, all the students agreed to eat hash instead of steak, and go without their usual ice cream dessert. This meant a saving of $95 which was added to the fund.

Other women's colleges are known to be aiding refugee students. Mount Holyoke and Bryn Mawr have already raised enough for three students. Drives are under way at Dartmouth, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of Maine. Amherst, Tulane and Chicago are also reported to have helped many students.

Letters are being sent out by the Harvard committee to the student bodies of colleges all over the country, describing what has been done here, and urging them to do everything in their power to aid refugee students.