France's Legion Of Honor Given to Professor Rand

Professor and Mrs. Rand Decorated For Spreading French Culture Here

Edward Kennard Rand '94, Pope Professor of Latin, and Mrs. Rand have been made Chevaliers of the Legion of Honor by the French Government, it was reported last night.

M. Francois Briere, French Consul in Boston, will bestow the decoration in behalf of his government at a reception at the Consul's home in Brookline tomorrow afternoon. Mrs. Rand will receive her decoration from the Consult at 9 o'clock Friday night at the presentation of a French film in the Institute of Geographical Exploration.

Active Francophilos

Professor and Mrs. Rand have been active in promoting the study of French culture in the United States. For the past nine years Mrs. Rand has been active in presenting the French films at Harvard.

Professor Rand has been previously honored by foreign governments. He is a Correspondent Fellow of the British Academy and a member of the American Academy of Rome; Rand is also a Knight of the Order of the Crown of Italy.

For her educational activities, Mrs. Rand has previously received the Palmes Academiques from the French Government. She did war work in 1917, and she is now a member of the Board of Directors of the American Friends of France, an organization to raise funds to aid France in this war.

Professor Rand could not be reached last night to confirm the report.