POPE PIUS XII

Eugenio Cardinal Pacclli entered the Cardinals' conclave not as a cardinal but as a pope who was about to be crowned. His election to the papacy climaxes a career which was so regular and so certain in its unfolding that it almost seemed that Pacelli was fated to be Christ's Vicar on Earth. For from the moment when he was ordained, Pacelli never left the shadow of the Vatican: it was as if he was being familiarized with his destiny. And as Pope Pius XII he donned the triple crown which some said had been his for several years.

The central problem of the papal election was to select a pope who was, above all else, a statesman. Pacelli was the obvious choice. His natural flair for diplomacy, coupled with the vast amount of training in practical politics that a cardinal must undergo, made him the best choice for the papacy at this particular hour. Besides holding the titular Archbishopric of Sardis, he was Papal Regent, as well as Secretary of State to the Holy See. In the last capacity especially he had served his church well.

Pacelli's elevation to the papal throne will probably mean little or no change in the political policies of the Holy See. For in his capacity as chief papal diplomat, he had set the tenor of Church diplomacy for the last years of the life of Pope Pius XI. His election was fought by the Nazi government, but now that its influence has proved insufficient, the German government may resort to more stringent tactics in dealing with the Catholic Church. However, Pacelli had recognized the Franco regime over a year ago and thus has insured the Church's position in Spain. Furthermore, French liberals sought the election of the former Vatican Secretary of State, and it is apparent that his election will bring closer relations with the Gallican Church.

As Pius XII, therefore, Eugenio Pacelli faces the difficult task of strengthening the position of the Catholic Church in a world troubled by numerous totalitarian states which will not countenance a powerful, established church within their boundaries. He has shown his capabilities in his former diplomatic positions. Whether he can stave off the attacks of the totalitarian states as well as build up the prestige of the Catholic Church in the more friendly democratic nations remains to be seen.