CRIMSON DEFEATS LION NINE 11 TO 3

Healey Holds Columbia to Six Hits, One Earned Run; Gannett Connects for Four Out of Six

By Theodore R. Barnett

It was the Crimson never-say-die spirit which cropped up in the eighth and again in the tenth inning of the Harvard-Columbia baseball game Saturday afternoon at draughty Baker Field, and produced a heart-warming victory for the Stablmen, as they rose to overwhelm the Lions, 11-3.

The Crimson were trailing three to one at the opening of the eighth. Two were gone when Bob Gannett lashed out a double, Grondahl walked, and Lupien beat out a bunt. With the bases loaded, Tully and Soltz were passed, forcing in the tying runs.

Lupien Sparks Rally

Smart stickwork by Lupien started the Crimson on their eight run rally in the tenth. Both infield and outfield were playing deep when Lupe dropped a bunt and beat it out. Hoye's sacrifice was thrown into centerfield as Desmond, Columbia backstop, vainly attempted to nip the traveling Lupien at second. Harvard's next gesture was a bunt by Tully, which pitcher Cerny fielded, only to find Stabl's fleet first-sacker already at third.

At this point Sam Merrill, Jayvee shortstop, brought along as utility infielder, connected with a line single to send the winning runs rattling across the platter. Singles by Healey, Johns, Lupien and Hoye, combined with another Gannett double and a free ticket to Grondahl, completed the rout.

Healey and Gannett

Healey's pitching and Gannett's hitting featured the contest. Allowing only one earned run and six hits, three of which were scratch, and walking two Lions, the big hurler's control was excellent. Gannett, hitting in hard luck during the spring trip, connected safely four out of six trips to the plate and also turned in several sparkling catches.