Columbia Optimistic Before Its Battle With Unbeaten Mermen Here Tonight

Lion Captain Vergeichik Hopes To Outdistance Cutler in 220 Sprint

By Charles N. Pollak ii

"On Columbia's Morningside Heights, they're beginning to say that Columbia's old Lion is growing web feet . . ." says a press release from the New York college, and it is one indication of the optimistic view the Lions are taking of their meet tonight with Harold Ulen's Varsity tank team at 8:45 o'clock in the Harvard pool.

On the heels of this mildly amazing claim has come a well-substantiated rumor that Jack Medica, world record-holding distance ace who is now assisting Ed Kennedy with the Columbia coaching, has asserted that 225-pound Captain John Vergeichik will defeat Eric Cutler in the 220. Whether this is a device to fool Coach Ulen into thinking that Vergeichik will definitely swim the furlong, or whether it represents what Columbians are really thinking, no one can say.

Vergeichik Better in Sprints

It seems obvious, though, that Vergeichik will do his team more good in the 50,100, and 440, or in the medley, 50, and 100, than by swimming the 220 against the Crimson captain and Frannie Powers, both of whom are fine competitors.

Even though reports have it that the Lion squad is seething with optimism, it is difficult to figure out how the Lions can eke out 38 points ahead of the Ulenmen. Vergeichik is apparently their only free-styler of merit, Jack Keating may win the one-meter dive, their breastrokers may pick up some points, but aside from these men there are no potential high point-winners evident on the Columbia aggregation. One exception may be a mystery 1:04 breastroker whose name begins with 'S,' reputed to be getting off probation. Because he is a mystery man, however, no one seems to know his name.

Meet Must Be Clinched Before Relay

Jack Brown, 6.3 utility man, may garner some points for the New Yorkers. He swims both breast and backstroke. Columbia, if it is going to win the meet, must clinch it before the relay since their sprint quartet can hardly do much better than 3:46 even with Vergeichik, according to past, performances.

The Crimson swimmers appear to be in excellent conditions, especially back-stroker Art Rosworth and Captain Cutler, and should not have too much trouble with the confident Lions, who have never beaten a Harvard swim squad. Hal Ulen's boys ought to score over 50 points in winning.

A Yardling tank team which can be described only as mediocre will face its strongest opponent to date at 7:30 o'clock when the Worcester Academy swimmers will strive to shatter the '43 string of victories.

Coach Wally Headquist of the school-boys is bringing Jack and Bill Ryan with him tonight, the former a 4:58 quarter-miler and his brother, a 1:05 100-yard backstroker who also turns in a good 50 free-style. The Academy team boasts fast medley and free-style relay teams.

Shaw McCutcheon and Brad Patterson, topnotch Yardling divers, together with Bus Curwen, distance man, and Bill Drucker, backstroker, ought to be the point winners for '43. The first-year men will elect a captain after the meet. From the spectator's point-of-view, the contest should be of unusual interest.