Ulenmen Will Attempt to Push Eli Powerhouse to Limit Today

Captain Rick Cutler Will Lead Swimmers Against Great Yale Squad Tonight at Payne Whitney Pool -- Bosworth and Curwen Are Expected to Star for Crimson

By Charles N. Pollak ii

The most powerful Yale swimming team of all time will meet Crimson Captain Eric Cutler and his mates in New Haven's Payne Whitney Exhibition Pool at 8:15 o'clock this evening.

Coach Ulen's squad is faced with the appalling prospect of having practically no chance of overcoming the Eli aggregation. At the same time it is confronted with the formidable task of giving the Blue their toughest battle of the season.

Cutler will be expected to score at least eight points during the meet. He is slated to swim the 220 and the 440, and ought to press Yale's topnotch free-styler, Howie Johnson, to the limit in the furlong, while in the quarter-mile he should encounter no serious opposition from Rene Chouteau. Tonight's contest is Rick's last dual meet for Harvard.

A completely orthodox line-up will probably be entered by Ulen with no important changes except that a weaker trio than usual will start in the medley relay. Dick Harris, Max Kraus, and Ned Goldwasser are slated for the 300, while Cutler and Powers will swim in the 220 as usual. Against these men Eli Coach Bob Kiphuth should pit a moderately strong medley teams, but because his reserves are so deep, it is difficult to predict his entries. A combination of White, Meyer, and Pope would be strong enough to insure victory.

Hot Competition

Jim Curwen, also swimming his last meet, is to team with Lonnie Stowell in the 50 against Captain Russ Duncan and Tom Britton of the Eli. Curwen will do well to take a second in this event, since both Buildogs have cracked 24 seconds for the two laps.

Jim Cook and Don Munding, Yale's brilliant Sophomore divers, ought to sweep first and second against Harvard's George Dana and Chet Sagenkahan, although Dana may conceivably take a second if one of the Elis has an off-day. Both Crimson divers are ending their springboard careers this evening.

The Torpedo Swims

Curwen and either Frannie Powers, Stowell, or Dave "Torpedo" Van Vort will take care of the 100. Here again Kiphuth has an almost unlimited choice of men to enter. It is likely that Evie McLeman and Dick Kelly will be his choices, although Johnson, Duncan, Gordy Mustin, Ellery Snyder, Willis Sanburn, and others are possibilities.

Aside from the Cutler-Johnson duel in the 220, the best race of the meet should be Yale's Joe Burns versus Art Bosworth in the 150 backstroke. The Blue dorsal expert has been turning in slightly faster times this year, but Bossie is sure to make it a real six-lap battle. Dick Harris will compete against either John Brueckel, Charlie Kilvert or Bob White, of the Elis, for third place.

Powerful Eli Breaststrokers

The boys from New Haven eligible to swim the 200 breaststroke are Hank Klepinger, John, Meyer, Thursty TwiggSmith, Ed Gesner, and Paul Metcalf. They are all favored to finish ahead of the Crimson's Jack Waldron and Rog Willcox, but Waldron may come through with a second.

Ed Hewitt may pair with Cutler in the 440 and will have to better 5:10 to take a third if Yale enters Chouteau and Bob Reicher. Ulen has hinted that he may start Frannie Powers, who is capable of around 5:05, in the 17 1/2 lap grind.

New Yale Letter Requirements

The 400 relay should find Van Vort, Bosworth, Stowell, and Curwen splashing against unpredictable Yale entries. Coach Kiphuth may take it into his head to enter his world's champion quartet to spice up the summaries for the morning papers.

It is though that Kiputh will keep the pressure on the Crimson for most of the evening, not only because of the pleasure of scoring a large score, but also because a new Yale major-letter requirement provides that Eli swimmers must score points against both Princeton and Harvard to gain the major awards.