Outcome of Hockey Game Is Uncertain As Are All Harvard-Yale Encounters

Although Blue Is Quad League Leader, 'News' Is Not Sure Of Victory Tonight

By Yale News and Barry SORTHLAN Sports writer

It's the same old story of tossing aside the record books and concentrating on the effect of traditional rivalry, when the Yale and Harvard sextets meet tonight in Cambridge. For though Yale at present heads the Quad League along with Princeton while Harvard is a dismal fourth, the Blue is not taking this series for granted.

The word that Vint Freedley is out for the remainder of the season was received with mixed emotion here in New Haven. The prospects of Yale entering the series an overwhelming favorite seemed eminent. However, when Princeton barely posed out the Crimson 2 to 1 Wednesday, Yale picked up its ears.

Eli's Primed For League First

A victory tonight means no worse than a tie in the League for the Blue, with a good chance of capturing the title in New Haven over Junior Prom week-end, so Yale will neither be asked nor giving quarter.

Coach Murray Murdoch of the Elis is bringing a squad to Cambridge which, after reaching full strength for the first time in weeks, trounced Princeton and Dartmough 9 to 3 and 6 to 3 on successive Thursdays.

An important element in these two contests was the work of Goalie Bud Kieckhefer in the nets Kieckhefer had played on only one varsity contest before the Quad games, but Murdoch decided to give him the nod over veteran Harry Holt, and the Junior netminder has already proven his worth.

Yale's defense has been improving steadily, paced by Captain Fred Burr. One of the best in the League, the Blue squad includes Juniors Pete Pierson, Carl Drake, and Ted Harrison. Burr does equally well checking in the back ice or careening down the side on one of his brilliant soloes, while Pierson and Drake are both sturdy performers. Harrison in his first year on the squad has filled in admirably.

Speedy First Line

The pride and joy of the Yale sextet is its fast-breaking, speedy front line trios. The first combination of Seniors Dave Rodd, Paul Gillespie, and Bill Barnes are the top scoring trio on the squad and match any line in the League for offensive ability.

The second line is on an almost equal par with the first. Juniors Rog Hozen, and Scotty McLennan have teamed up with Sophomore Gig Carton to spark the attack in recent games. Murdoch may also use a third line of big George Seabury, Nick Franchot, and Ed Toland, with the latter likely to get a chance to operate in the first combination.