Remedial Reading For Slow Readers to Start

Course Improves Reading Time, Probably Roosts Student's Marks

Classes in remedial reading for those freshmen found below par on the recent reading exam will begin soon according to Stanley C. Salmon '36, Secretary of the Bureau of Supervisory Assistance.

Two years of experiment and development of the idea of reading instruction have definitely proved that a student's reading time can be greatly cut down by appropriate eye exericses. The average increase in reading speed of those who have taken the course in from 231 to 333 words per minute.

Along with the increase in speed of reading there has been a corresponding increase in comprehension of the matter covered, whereas the comprehension of students who, though slow readers, have refused to take the course shows no improvement.

The department is unwilling to boast that the remedial reading course will definitely improve the marks of the student, but there is every indication that this is the case.

Several changes have been made in the course, which has been in a state of constant development since it was started two years ago. S. Vincent Wilking, the new instructor in the course, has composed a textbook of reading exercises which will augment those given by means of motion picture.

Present plans call for meetings thrice rather than five times a week, and the cost of instruction has been lowered from $12 to $11. No student will be required to take the remedial reading course, but those whose reading speed is unusually slow will be strongly urged to do so.