HARLOW TACTICS TO PUZZLE NASSAU BULLIES, 'DAILY' SAYS

Princeton Beef Trust Has Dwindled Since First Game

By Topper Cook and Daily Princetonian

Princeton has come a long way since the Williams game, and the direction is not up Most of us thought Tad Wieman's Beef Trust would break through with a creditable season, on the basis of our 20 to 7 win in the opener. Williams was supposed to have a good team: perhaps it was overrated.

Came the Columbia game, and Princeton's thinking about football took a sharp turn. Our so-called bullies took a wretched lacing from Lou Little's smartly coached outfit. I have never seen a Princeton team look so poor as our lads did in the first half while the Lions were running up a 21 to 0 score against us.

While the boys in light blue were making crisp blocks and hard tackles our ponderous players spent their time puffing along after such speedy Columbia performers as Goverhali, or at best making weighty lunges in the direction of the ball carriers. A good part of the time our linesmen didn't have the slightest idea who the ball-carrier was: rather demoralizing. Knowing Dick Harlow's propensity for hipper-dipper deception, I shudder to think of the perplexed expressions that will cross the Tiger's brow a week from Saturday.

Improve for Penn

The first half of the Penn game was distinctly encouraging. We held the Quakers scoreless and what's more out-rushed them (both sides limited their ground game to less than 50 yards gained). Our blocking and tackling was much improved showing the effect of a week's hard work on fundamentals. The second half, however, was one of those things: the intermission between the halves took the edge off our enthusiasm or whatever it is that makes a team play over its head. Penn's steamroller rolled, and the final score was 23 to 0.

Day after tomorrow we play Vanderbilt, I'll let you read about that one in the papers. The southern boys play for keeps-they're not in the tradition of ivy league ball. With three starters injured for the game to begin with (not to speak of four second-stringers), I just hope we get out of Saturday's massacre-to-be relatively alive. Captain Bob Peters may injure his right shoulder for keeps this time, and that would he very, very sad, Vanderbilt should beat us by a comfortable margin, thank you. (Vanderbilt won this game 46 to 7. Ed.)

Team a Disappointment.

I guess you get the general idea about our Beat Trust. It has been a disappointment and doesn't seem to have potentialities along any line.

Peters is a fine captain, however. A better-than-average punter and passer, he runs hard and surprisingly fast whenever he gets any sort of blocking, which he doesn't get with any frequency. Bud Rose at fullback is a hard plunger. Tom Irwin (now injured) is a pretty good blocking back, and Bob Perina, a Junior, has possibilities as a ball-carrier, but he needs blocking too.

Bruce Wilson and Buck Sheridan, the ends, are not up to the standard of last year's Captain Bowie Stanley. Dick Schmon, who would ordinarily start in place of Sheridan (a Sophomore), is hurt. While Jim Howley recovers from a splintered hand, Pen Drinker a Sophomore is filling in at tackle along with Bill Morris. They are fairly good but wouldn't make graceful ballet-dancers.

The guards, Dave Headley and Sandy Edwards, are nothing extra. Jack Martin, who got a lot of publicity as being the Sophomore find of the year, has not lived up to expectations at center: he's too big for his own good.