Freedman Winner in Tennis Championship

Jenkins Eliminated By Former Yale Star

By Melvin J. Kessel

Bob Freedman 2GB, former Yale player, climaxed his conquest of Harvard Friday by defeating Varsity Captain Jim Jenkins, 6-3, 6-2, to win the University Tennis championship that the tied Al Everts for last fall.

Admittedly playing the best tennis he has shown in the tournament, Freedman was in full command of the contest. Except for the first game, in which Jenkins broke through his service, Freedman led all the way.

Amasses Early Lead

After losing the first game, Freedman won the next four in short order before yielding another. Jenkins then fought his way up to 3-4. But the Varsity player tightened up badly and Freedman ran off the next two games for the set.

Starting off the second set by winning the first game love, Freedman used his tricky drop shots and beautiful cross court placements to Jenkins' forehand to run the score up to 4-0. Jenkins rallied to take the next two games, but they were the only ones he got for the rest of the match.

Finding that his overhead was working exceptionally well, the Business School player came up to net quite often on Jenkins' short returns and put the ball away.

Freedman did not lose a set during the whole tournament in any of his regular matches. Gene Sands, Sophomore player, did win the first set of a match he played with Freedman in the second round. But he was forced to stop when a string in his racquet broke, and in the replay Freedman won with ease.