Special Aptitude Needed For Math Concentration

As before, the prerequisites for concentration in Math are Math A, 2, and 5, which many students feel are very poorly coordinated, repeating a lot of material that could be condensed and covering varying amounts of work according to particular sections.

In Math A, for those with particular aptitude in the subject, Kaplansky, who is seldom boring and gets a lot across, and MacLane are excellent. For those who are just taking it for distribution or other reasons, Beatley and Whitney are the best men.

The first half of Math 2 repeats a lot of the work covered in A, and a good student can almost get away without it. Kaplansky is good for this and Whitney is easy.

Although a fine mathematician, Birkoff in the first half of 5, goes at such a rapid pace that even the best men have a tough time keeping up with him. Widder in the second half, is very methodical and takes less for granted.

One more course in Math plus two more which may be Math or certain subjects in the related fields of Astronomy, Chemistry, Engineering Sciences, or Economics, plus tutorial work, complete the ordinary requirements for concentration. Honors candidates need five courses above the Freshman grade in Math. and related subjects.

Math. 3 or 6 is usually the first course outside of the required ones that concentrators take. 3, higher geometry, has interesting material but the exact subject matter depends to a certain extent on who is giving it.

Math. 6 is given by Walsh who has resigned as chairman of the Department, but is still going to continue teaching.

Math 4 accents Math and Physics in alternate years. Stone, leaves most students wandering around in a mist for the first two months. He stressed the mathematical side of the course this year, but Van Vleck, who will probably give it next year, emphasizes physics.

Primarily for graduates, 12 and 13 are especially difficult. Twelve is deeply theoretical and 13 stresses rigorou proof.

Math. 21, a half-course in statistics, was given by Kaplansky for the first time this year. He was very enthusiastic in his work and is trying to simplify the material.

A thesis is required for all concentrators in the senior year and also two three-hour general examinations covering the material of A, 2, 5, and required tutorial reading.