Lining Them up

By Edward D. Bodman

Starting the season with 7 to 1 defeat by Andover two weeks ago, the Freshman tennis team at least had the consolation of knowing that there was lots of room for improvement. When the Royal Blue swamped the Dorson racquetmen with a six match margin on the Crimson courts, the '45 squad took the worst beating it has suffered in the last few years.

Two days later, the team changed places and overpowered the Tufts Freshmen 8 to 1, but Tufts has never boasted a strong aggregation. Showing marked improvement upon journeying to Andover on Saturday for a return match, the team still didn't have quite the stuff necessary to even the score, and in a long three and a half hour match, the Blue finally came out on top five to four.

The two outstanding players, Max Tufts and John Zinsser, are currently battling it out for the number one position. Both of them won their matches in three long sets against Andover on Saturday.

Tufts, who held down number five on the Freshman squash team this winter without having ever played the game before, is a cover and experienced match player on the courts. Noted for his persistence rather than power, he usually manages to wear down his opponent.

Zinsser, who held down the third position on the '45 squash team, this winter, has a powerful forehand, but his back-hand is weak. Bob Holtiwanger, now playing sixth, won his match in straight sets Saturday, and shows definite possibilities. Gene Sands, Bud Collinson, and Pete Eaton round out the team, playing third, fourth and fifth in the present line-up which is definitely subject to change.

The squad, which at present seems to be poorer than last year's, and is especially weak in the doubles, may round into shape before the match with the powerful Yale team on the sixteenth, according to Dick Dorson. Brailey, Cameron, beside Tufts and Zinsser, seem to be definitely the best bet in the doubles at the moment.