HARVARD GREETS PRESIDENT OF PERU

Greeted by over 2,000 cheering students, His Excellency Manuelo Prado of Peru, the first South American President to visit the United States during his term of office, was welcomed yesterday morning under the American, Peruvian, and Harvard flags in front of University Hall before beginning a brief tour of the University.

Charles Francis Adams, President of the Overseers, and Dean Chase, representing President Conant who is in Washington, greeted the distinguished president in the Faculty Room. Prado was accompanied by a number of Peruvian military and naval attaches, R. Henry Norweb, American ambassador to Peru, and his son Manuel '42.

Calls for Peace, Solidarity

Speaking to the press, Prado, a slight, grey-haired, dapper gentleman, called for American solidarity in these times. A former professor of mathematics at the University of San Morcos, founded in 1552, he said in English difficult to understand, "Let us dwell on the days when the men of San Morcos and the men of Harvard can devote themselves in peace and security to study and science."

Skillfully evading the camera men and reporters massed at John Harvard's feet the official party ducked out the back door of University Hall and proceeded to Widener. After a short look at the Treasure Room and Reading Room Prado was led through the stacks and across the bridge to Houghton.

Here Jerome D. Greene, Secretary of the Corporation, showed him the original charter of Harvard College, and under the indirect lighting of the exhibit room Prado was presented with a part of the Washington elm by Mayor John J. Corcoran.

Leaving Houghton by the front door, the party rounded the steps of Windener, which had been cleared of students, to find over 2000 cheering and clapping undergraduates. In a blaze of flash bulbs and grinding movie cameras Prado, still acknowledging the cheers with his hat, was pulled away in the official limousines as a motorcycle escort cleared a path.

Visits Dunster

After a brief drive around the Common, to Craigle House and Radcliffe, the party proceeded to Dunster House where he was welcomed by Clarence Haring, professor of Latin American History and Economics. Haring showed the President the library and called on several students, too deeply engrossed in their books to recognize "His Excellency, the President of Peru."

Before leaving Cambridge for Boston and lunch with the Governor at the Harvard Club, Prado visited his son's club on Mount Auburn Street for champagne cocktails. After a brief glance at Lowell House and a final wave of his hat President Prado was escorted down Mount Auburn Street to Boston.