VARSITY NINE BOWS TO HOLY CROSS, 6 TO 3

Crusaders Win in Tenth; Crimson Limited to 4 Hits

By J. ROBERT Moskin

For eight innings yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field it looked as though the Crimson baseball Varsity had an outside chance to do the impossible and break their three-year Holy Cross jinx. Going into the ninth the Varsity led 3-1, but the favored Crusaders tied it up and then went on to win 6-3 in an extra frame.

Warren Berg hurled soundly for eight innings, displaying exceptional control and not allowing a Crusader past second nor a single walk for seven innings. In the last three chapters, however, he gave up five hits and walked three to lose his own ball game. Ned Fitzgibbons was still out with a cold but is expected back in time to meet Yale Saturday.

Scoreless Seven Innings

Until after the seventh-inning stretch the contest was a scoreless deadlock, with the pitching of Ed Murphy and Berg the chief attraction. Then, sparked by a sudden vocal surge from the fans, the Crimson began to click.

Lou Clay led off with a single to left and Thayer Drake sacrificed him to second. After Berg grounded out in advancing Clay to third, Clco O'Donnell sent his second hit to left field to score Clay. Gil Whittemore walked and Bart Harvey drove in O'Donnell when the Purple's shortstop errored on his grounder. When the third baseman missed the peg Whittemore raced home and Harvey pulled up at third. Mort Waldstein flied out to end the frame and the Crimson scoring.

Murphy was the same curveball artist who shut out the Crimson with four hits last month, and although he allowed no more this game, errors by his teammates gave the Varsity a fighting chance. The extra-inning affair, however, was the closest the Crimson has come to beating the Crusaders in Cambridge since 1939.

The summary:

HOLY CROSS  ab  r  h  po  a  eMulcahy, lf  6  1  3  1  0  0Milnar, ss  6  0  1  2  1  2Bezemes, cf  4  0  0  3  0  0Scondras, rf  5  1  2  2  0  0E. Morgan, 3b  3  0  2  2  5  1Mills, c  4  1  0  7  0  0W. Morgan, 1b  3  0  0  6  0  0Sliney  1  1  1  5  0  0Rossetti, 2b  3  0  0  2  0  0Guiney  2  1  1  0  2  0Murphy, p  3  0  0  0  5  0Wasilewski  1  1  1  0  1  0*Gerry  1  0  0  0  0  0Totals  42  6  11  30  14  3*Batted for W. Morgan in the eighthHARVARD  ab  r  h  po  a  eO'Donnell, cf  5  1  2  2  0  0Whittemore, 3b  4  1  0  1  3  0Harvey, 2b  4  0  1  4  1  0Waldstein, lf  4  0  0  2  0  0Scully  1  0  0  1  0  0Barnes, rf  4  0  0  3  0  0Haussermann  0  0  0  0  0  1Callanan, c  3  0  0  2  2  0Clay, 1b  4  1  1  13  0  0Drake, ss  3  0  0  1  1  1Berg, p  2  0  0  1  4  0Harding  0  0  0  0  0  0Totals  34  3  4  30  11