FISHER, LATE CRIMSON GRID COACH, DIES

Led Eleven To Rose Bowl; Four Sons Follow Footsteps

Robert T. Fisher '12, Harvard football coach from 1919 through 1922, died Tuesday morning at the Newton Hospital in his 54th year. En route to his home in Weston, he was stricken in Newtonville station Monday afternoon by a heart attack.

Fisher is one of the great names of Harvard football history. After he entered Harvard from Andover in 1908, he rose to the top as a player in intercollegiate football where for three years he was Varsity right guard. He was named to Walter Camp's All America in 1910 and 1911, and captained the Crimson in 1911. He later succeeded his teacher the late Percy Haughton, as head coach in 1919.

Only Rose Bowl Team

Winning a high percentage of his games and downing Yale every year, he went on, in 1919, to lead the only Harvard team in history to play in the Rose Bowl. At Pasadena on January 1, 1920, his team completed an unbeaten season by conquering Oregon, 7 to 6. In that game Captain Arnold Horween played one of the hero's roles and later succeeded "Bob" Fisher as head coach.

Fisher was born on December 3, 1888 in Boston, son of Rollin B. Fisher. In September, 1917, he was commissioned a lieutenant in the Army Air Force and rose to captain by the end of the war. He was married to Louise A. Winter of Dayton on March 22, 1919, the day of his discharge.

Was Broker

He had several business affiliations as a broker after leaving College and the army. At first he was connected with the firm of Lee, Higginson, and ten years ago he joined Spencer, Trask and Co.

Four sons survive him: Robert Thomas Fisher, Rollin B. Fisher, John Winters Fisher, and William Orne Fisher, all of whom are now students at Harvard. John captained the Freshman football squad last fall with William also a member of the '45 team. All of the boys attended Andover, where in one game against Exeter all were in the lineup at the same time.