Naval Training School

(Pre-Radar)

By Yeoman RICHARD Brill

Up to the present time, my experience with "unusual" requests from "unusual" people has been confined to the telephone. Some time back, if there are any officers on board who can remember, I wrote about the now famous telephone call from a well-meaning and serious female who wanted an officer to mind her baby at night for a slight remuneration. My answer to her was, you may recall, "How old is the baby?"

Now it seems that such odd requests are no longer confined to the "Ameche," as one of our brighter wits referred to the telephone this morning. The other day, the Army office received the following letter. It is quoted herewith for two reasons: 1) To illustrate a state of mind prevalent among the female population of this vicinity. (I can see the tar and feathers now!) 2) To state the request for those officers who might be interested:

"Dear Sir,

I take classes in the evening at Harvard and have seen scads of handsome officers in square and yard. After hearing radio program on Monday entitled "Blind Date," I thought perhaps it would be fun to do it, too. If you know of four tall, single, willing and agreeable fellows, I should be delighted to play hostess to them either January 14th or 15th, whichever is more convenient for them.

I'm a cashier by day, a student by night. I'm twenty years old. All other specifications will be given over the telephone.

Looking forward to a weekend of fun as I'm sure with so-o-o (ed. note--so help me!) many men, you can find a meagre four who are interested. Sincerely.

Will the "meagre four" leave their names at the Navy Office?