920 Men Expected to Register in Opening Two-Day Session

Brinton, Bender and Gummere Also Scheduled for Talks At Lowell House Gathering

The first contingent of the Class of 1950--and returning students from at least seven other classes--will be greeted tomorrow evening at 7:30 o'clock in the Lowell House Common Room. Among those on hand to receive recruits and returnees alike will be Paul H. Buck, Provost of the University, and Wilbur J. Bender, Counsellor for Veterans.

Initial function in the regular "opening days" series of receptions following the table-hopping marathon of registration and the brain-curdling exemption and placement examinations, will be in the form of oral crystal-gazing by members of the University's Administration and Faculty, in an effort to give new students some idea of what their future at Harvard will be like. Provost Buck and Bender head a list of speakers that will include C. Crane Brinton, professor of History, and Chairman of the Society of Fellows, and Richard M. Gummere, Chairman of the Committee on Admission.

Hanford to Speak

In a required meeting for all new students at New Lecture Hall at 9 o'clock. Monday, A. Chester Hanford, Dean of the College, Delmar Leighton, Dean of Freshmen and Chairman of the Board of Freshman Advisors, and Keyes Metcalf, Director of University Library, will give the novice Harvard man information on the choice of studies, use of the library and other subjects that will help to a rapid orientation in the life of the University.

On Tuesday evening, at 7:30 o'clock, at Phillips Brooks House, representatives of the various undergraduate organizations such as the CRIMSON, Lampoon, Harvard Dramatic Club and athletic groups will discuss extra-curricular activities. This will be the second gathering at Phillips Brooks House, following the informal Open House for new students, Sunday at 4 o'clock.