Historic Dana-Palmer House Will Be Moved Across Quincy Street

Long a permanent fixture in the Yard, the Dana-Palmer House will be moved early this summer from its traditional location across Quincy Street to a site near the Union in order to make way for the $3,000,000 Lamont Undergraduate Library.

At its new location, the house will serve as an official guest house. President Conant, the present occupant, who moved in at beginning of World War II when the Navy took over his permanent residence as a Cambridge headquarters, will vacate sometime in the Spring.

The history of the structure dates back to 1835 when the University purchased it from Richard Henry Dana, father of the noted author, and spurred by interest in Halley's comet, converted the structure into an observatory.

Upon removal of the observatory, Andrew P. Peabody, Plummer Professor of Christian Morals, became the house's occupant. In sharp contrast with the eccentric Peabody was the next Dana House resident, philosopher William James. In 1894, Professor George H. Palmer, noted for his translations of Homer moved in for a long stay that added his name to the building, followed by Richard M. Gummere, present chairman of the Committee on Admission.