Crimson Nine Divides with Indians Amid Squeezes, Rhubarbs, Fisticuffs

Dartmouth Takes Opener, 5-1; Varsity Survives Rally and Wins Finale for Wallace, 6-5

By Irvin M. Horowitz

An extrovert Dartmouth nine brought-Brooklyn Dodger baseball to chilly Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon as the Varsity and the Indians split an Ivy League double-header. The visitors took the first game 5 to 1 without trouble, and the Crimson eked out a 6 to 5 decision in the hectic nightcap.

Leo Durocher would have been proud of the Big Green, In winning the opener, they used such Ebbets Field, specialities as the squeeze play, daring base running, and bench jockeying, and in the second game plate umpire Doc Gautreau was involved in at least three rhubarbs with rate Hanoverians.

Callagy Quieted

The piece de resistance--pugilism--almost came to pass when Bill Callagy, the Indians' losing pitcher, was restrained from committing mayhem on John Caulfield in the seventh inning of the finale.

The first game was mild. Jim Dooley, Dartmouth right-hander, extended the Varsity's batting drought with a three-hit performance while his teammates rang up single tallies off Brendon Reilly in the first, third, and fourth frames. Relief pitcher Ira Godin was touched for the visitors' final two runs in the sixth.

The Crimson scored its lone run in the fifth on two walks, an infield out, and John Coppinger's fly to right field.

Couison Connects

In the nightcap, the Varsity hopped on Bill Callagy, the Indians' small and excitable right-hander, for two runs in each of the first two innings. Walt Coulson's triple to right-center was the principle blow in the first, and Callagy's wildness, an error by his brother John, the Green shortstop, and Jack Forte's single to center figured in the second pair of scores.

Saul Mariaschin's boot of a double-play grounder in the third, along with two Dartmouth hits and a wild pitch by Jack Wallace, brought the visitors within a run of the Varsity in the third. In the sixth, Coppinger singled, stole second, and rode home on Wallace's double to give the home team a two-run lead. But Dartmouth struck back, aided by a long argument, an error by Coppinger, and a wind-blown pop fly which fell for a hit to tie the score.

The Varsity won the contest in the seventh when Caulfield walked, moved around to third on a sacrifice and a ground out, and scored when Callagy wild pitched. It was when Caulfield scored, brushing Callagy in the process, that the fisticuffs nearly occurred.

The combined Varsity summaries:

ab  r  h  po  a  eForte, 2b  7  0  2  4  3  0Caulfield, 1b  4  2  1  4  0  0Fitz, 1b  6  0  0  14  1  0Coulson, lf  7  1  3  2  0  0Hamlen, c  4  1  1  8  3  0Marlaschin, ss  5  1  0  1  1  1Batron, rf  5  0  0  3  0  0Coppinger, 3b  4  2  1  4  3  1Reilly, p  1  0  0  0  1  1*Lunder  1  0  0  0  0  0Godin, p  0  0  0  1  1  0Wallace, p  3  0  1  1  5  1Totals  47  7  9  42  18