B.U. Nine Defeats Crimson in Tenth, 2-1

Terriers' Defense Outstanding As Reilly Drops Mound Duel On Catcher's Clutch Single

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Boston University's alert baseball team ended a brilliant pitching duel between the Varsity's Brendan Reilly and the Terriers' Dick Snow with a single run in the tenth inning to turn back the Crimson, 2 to 1, at chilly Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon.

It was far and away the best-played home game of the season, as the Harvard team played errorless baseball, and B.U. committed one misplay that had no bearing on the scoring.

Gibson Singles In Run

The Terriers' winning run came after Reilly walked Charley Espanet, the first batter to face him in the tenth. Dick Mills sacrificed Espanet to second, and Bill Gibson, a heady catcher, drove in the crucial score with a single to left.

B. U. also opened the scoring in the third inning, Larry Falloni doubled along the right-field foul line, stole third base, and tallied on Espanet's fly to Walt Coulson. The Varsity, which had all kinds of trouble with Snow's slow, left-handed offerings, tied the count in the seventh on singles by Bill Barron, Bill Hamlen, and Lenny Lunder, the last named a pinch hitter for John Coppinger.

Pickoff Vital

The best defensive maneuver of the day cost Harvard a possible trying run in the tenth. Jack Wallace opened the inning with a pinch-hit single to right, and with Jack Forte at the plate in an obvious sacrifice situation, Bill Gibson, Terrier catcher, called for a pitchout and picked Wallace off first with a fine throw to second-baseman Falloni.

That the pickoff was vital was proved a moment later when Forte walked, and after John Caulfield filed out, Fitz also received a base on balls. Walt Coulson, the Varsity's best hitter, ended the game with a ground ball hit directly at Falloni. Coulson hasn't hit too well this season against left-handed pitching. The Varsity Summary     ab  r  h  po  a Forte, 2b  4  0  0  4  0 Caulfield, cf  5  0  1  1  0 Fitz, 1b  4  0  1  6  2 Coulson, lf  5  0  0  5  0 Barron, rf  4  1  1  0  0 Mariaschin, ss  2  0  0  1  1 Hamlen, c  4  0  1  10  2 Coppinger, 3b  2  0  1  2  2 aLunder  1  0  1  0  0 Fulton, 3b  1  0  0  0  1 Reilly, p  3  0  0  1  2 bWallace  1  0  1  0  0     --  --  --  --  -- Totals  36  1  7  30  10 aSingled for Coppinger in seventh. bSingled for Reilly in tenth.

Boston U.  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  0  0  1--2 Harvard  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  0  0  0  0--1

Errors--none. Run batted in--Lunder. Bases on balls--off Reilly, 5. Struck out--by Reilly, 9. Sacrifice hit--Mariaschin. Left on bases--Harvard, 9.