League Title at Stake as Yale Nine Meets Crimson Here This Afternoon

By Irvin M. Horowitz

When the Crimson baseball team crosses bats with Yale for the 190th time at Soldiers Field this afternoon at 3 o'clock, there will be more at stake than the ordinary rivalry which accompanies any athletic engagement between the two colleges.

Weather permitting, a Class Day gathering of several thousand spectators is expected to witness this clash beween the first and second place squads in the Eastern Intercollegiate League, a competition to which the Varsity returned this spring after a four-year absence.

The Elis, with a league record of six victories and two losses, can clinch the title if they win a majority of their four remaining games with Harvard and Princeton, while Coach Adolph Samborski '25, in his first year as head coach of the Crimson nine, can lead his charges to the pennant if his Varsity takes both of its games with Yale, scheduled for today and June 18, with the latter clash at New Haven.

Before Samborski's forces entertain any championship notions, however, they must first cope with a formidable Yale pitcher, Frank Quinn, who has yet to be defeated in league competition. Quinn, a right-hander, has won four Ivy League games, and possesses a blasing fast ball. His pitching rival today will be Jack Wallace, whose league record is four wins and a single defeat.

Gordon Davis, the Bulldog second baseman, is Yale's best batter, with an EIL average of .421, while Artie Moher, the Blue shortstop, is one of the best infielders in the East.