Green Triumphs, 59-47, Crushes Crimson Hopes

By Paul Sack

Bill Bingham was the only Harvard man at the Boston Garden who had anything to smile about last night. He picked up 25 percent of a capacity gate while his basketball team lost to Dartmouth, 59 to 47, and took permanent possession of last place in the Ivy League.

Captain George Hauptfuhrer poured 18 points through the hoops, but it was not enough to beat the scrappy outfit from Hanover. Hauptfuhrer twisted his ailing left ankle four minutes before the end of the fray and may not be available for the Yale game Saturday.

It was aggressiveness that paid off at the scorer's table for the Big Green. After Hauptfuhrer opened the content with at tricky two-pointer, Dartmouth put on the pressure and piled up a 16 to 3 lead in seven minutes of play. By the end of the period, the score stood at 30 to 16.

The Barclaymen drew to within seven points of the Green in the waning moments of play. They lost Hauptfuhrer in the process, however, and then watched the fleet-footed enemy drop in three baskets and an equal number of foul shots, punctuated only by two Crimson free throws, to clinch the encounter.

Wes Coleman and Captain Jim Field set the pace for the victors with 11 and 13 points respectively. Hauptfuhrer's 13-point total was sufficient to gain him individual scoring honors for the evening.

In the opener at the Garden a speedy dead-eyed Colgate quintet came within 17 seconds of upsetting the mighty Holy Cross. George Kaftan dropped in five points in the last 20 seconds of play to turn a 62 to 60 Colgate lead into a 65 to 62 victory for the Crusaders.

It's just another week for most Varsities, but for Hal Ulen and his all-victorious swimmers this five-day period marks the crest of a full year's training. With the Yale meet set for New Haven on Saturday, activity should reach a peak tomorrow before a final tapering off.

Prospects for a win Saturday are not exceptionally bright, but for the first time in almost a decade the Crimson swimmers seem to have a chance to topple the long-reigning Elis on their home grounds. Both squads are undefeated going into the finals, with Yale the possessor of an overwhelming scoring edge on all opponents.

The summary: HARVARD (47)  G  F  P Rockwell, rf  3  1  7 Hauptfuhrer, lf  7  4  18 McCurdy  1  0  2 Prior, c  3  1  7 Gannon, rg  3  1  7 Brady, lg  0  0  0 Crosby  3  0  0 Mobraaten  0  0  0 Davis  0  0  0 Totals  20  7  47