Depth, Varied Attacks, Beat Crimson

Excellent Blocking Is Key to Tiger Attack; Harvard Tires at End

By Bayard Hooper

Harvard was doing all right until it ran out of players and strength. That was one period and two touchdowns before the end of the game, and it was those last 15 minutes that made the difference between a good showing and another bad defeat.

As it was, the Crimson showed it had one strong team, capable of playing together and playing hard. Offensively, they played with enough team coordination to match the Tigers for well over half the game, but in the final quarter the line was just too tired to go on blocking well.

Defensively, Harvard could never really stop Princeton, but Valpey's men slowed each of the first three touchdown drives long enough to use up a respectable amount of time. But when the defensive collapse came, it was sudden and spectacular.

Depth and Power

Princeton's team strength lay in its depth and power and not in passes and speed, although its attack contained a little of everything. Fullback plunges and wide end sweeps, the key plays in this pattern, were achieved with the best blocking seen in the Stadium all year.

The interference was at its best on the outside plays, on which there was time for three and sometimes four blockers to form before the play started moving downfield. It was physically impossible for the Harvard ends to break up all the interference, and the runner was often protected until the backer-up could slant across from the far side.

Blocking in Center

Princeton blocking in the center of the line was equally effective, although, not so spectacular. The Harvard secondary had to fill the holes, and since the buck series sent the tailback and wingback around end the backers-up had to hold back until the play was committed. This usually meant a five yard gain.

Davison's two long runs trapped the Harvard guards and left the offensive guards free to go ahead of the play and take out the secondary. Davison had enough speed to take it from there.

Chandler, the visitor's quarterback, mixed up the inside and outside plays cleverly, and this also gave the Crimson a bad time. The only way to really stop the wide plays was to break into the backfield before the hand off. But, by crashing to stop the play before it started, the line was left open for a delayed buck or a short pass.

Bender's line work was sorely missed after he left the game. His loss, plus the fact that Houston and Davis were only playing one way, opened the first spots where the Crimson's weakness finally showed.

Harvard suffered two injuries, both costly. Charlie Walsh was removed from the game with a broken left leg which will put him out for the season. Chief Bender also suffered a leg injury which may sideline him for the week.