Laski Speech Barred from Local School

Forum Scheduled for Sanders; Mayor Neville Calls Laborite Communistic, Anti-Religious

The April 26 Law School Forum, at which Harold J. Laski is scheduled to speak, will be held in Sanders Theater, Rowland C. Brown 2L, Forum president, announced last night. Originally scheduled for the Cambridge High and Latin auditorium, the meeting was switched after the Cambridge School Committee refused to allow Forum Speakers to use the hall.

In a 4 to 2 vote last week the school group refused the Forum's request on a motion introduced by Mayor Michael J. Neville, who characterized Laski as "pro-Communist, anti-Catholic, and anti-religious." The Mayor stated that he was against using public school halls for speeches by "men with Laski's philosophy of government."

Harvard Has Plenty of Halls

Reading a typewritten memorandum, Neville told the Committee, "If Mr. Laski must speak, I would suggest that Harvard has many halls that might be used." Brown said later in reply that the University has no auditorium with the seating capacity of the high school hall.

Laski will discuss "The Role of Labor Unions in Politics," after which a panel of experts will interrogate him. Although Forum members have sent a letter of protest to the School Committee they do not expect a reversal of the decision and are continuing with the Sanders plan.

Brown stated that the decision was unexpected. "We feel that the committee did not have all the facts before it when it acted," he said.