Sextet, Paced by Garrity, Mauls Williams, 10-0

Crimson Racks Up Season's First Shutout At Arena as Ephmen's Attack Falters

By Sedgwick W. Green

The varsity hockey team beat Williams, 10 to 0, last night at the Arena, in a game which, but for two factors, had little more interest than a practice session.

One factor was the fact that Algie Allen and Bill Garrity were playing their last game for the Crimson, since both will be graduated in February. Their loss will be a serious one to the team, since Allen has consistently starred on defense and Garrity leads the team in scoring. Both were true to their roles last night, with Garrity pulling the three-goal "hat trick" and Allen contributing heavily to the air-tight defense.

The second interesting factor was that the game was the team's first shutout of the year. John Chase, Godfrey Howard, and Phil Clark shared the honors, Chase playing goal the first period, Howard in the second, and Clark in the third.

Otherwise the game was a tame affair, with Harvard in complete charge the whole way. In the first period the Crimson's passing was weak, and the team depended on individual rushes for the bulk of its attack, but the passing improved in the second and third periods.

Williams Weak

Williams was never able to mount much of an attack. Sloppy puck handling and lack of speed undermined the Ephmen, who depended largely on single rushes. Harvard continued to display the poor defensive covering that characterized its play in previous games, but Williams was just incapable of capitalizing on its opportunities.

Fine saves by Chase, Howard, and Clark stopped Williams' few real scoring threats.

Harvard, however, also missed many scoring chances. It failed to pick up several easy rebounds off the Williams goalie. The Crimson also failed to score when penalties gave Harvard a manpower edge.

Midway through the second period, for instance, Williams was two men short for two minutes, but Harvard failed to score. To be sure, this was partly because of superb work by Williams' goalie and captain David Pynchon, but it was also partly because of the Crimson's failure to organize its attack.

Once again, Harvard had to do without the services of Dave Abbot and Myles Huntington, who were injured in the Army game last Saturday.

At least part of Williams' ragged showing can be attributed to the warm winter, which has rendered useless the Elphmen's outdoor practice facilities.

The summaries: HARVARD(10)  WILLIAMS(0) Chase  G  Pynchon Carman  RD  Ratcliffe Allen  LD  Irwin Preston  C  Coleman Garrity  RW  Reynolds Timpson  LW  Marchese

Harvad spares--Anderson, Kittredge, DiBlasio, Minot, Marshall, Harris, Hatch, Burke, Howard, Bliss, Clark.

First period: scoring--Carman (unassisted), 2:31; Anderson (Kittredge), 10:54; Garrity (Allen) 18:01; Kittredge (unassisted), 19:21.

Second period: scoring--Carman (Kittredge), 4:12; Marshall (Minot), 8:55; Anderson (Kittredge, DiBlasio), 14:03.

Third period: scoring--Kittredge (Anderson, Carman), 12:57; Garrity (unassisted), 17:11; Garrity (unassisted), 19:55.