DA, Chief Plot Further Probe of 'Poon Parody

Thompson Labels Pontoon as 'Actionable', Calls Editors in for Meeting Today

"Further investigation" is in store for the Lampoon's parody, Pontoon. District Attorney George E. Thompson read the magazine yesterday and agreed with Acting Chief of Police Patrick J. McCarthy that it "is actionable" on grounds of obscenity.

The two met twice yesterday to discuss the matter, once with Lampoon counsel Joseph A. DcGugliclmo '29. They will meet representatives of the 'Poon today.

City Councillor DcGugliclmo repeated last night that he is merely waiting until some official complaint is issued. The district attorney would not predict what form action might take, and could not say whether or not he would ask for an indictment on any charge when the county grand jury convenes Monday.

So far the only public action against the magazine has been the seizure of 300 copies from newsboys Saturday morning and the subsequent burning of these issues by city police. No legal complaint has yet been entered against the publication.

'Poonsters said yesterday they thought they had discovered the author of the anonymous telephone call to Central Square police headquarters Saturday morning which reportedly was the cause of the seizure from newsboys.

They describe her as "a Radcliffe girl who was just doing it as a lark."

Collector's Item

Reports that copies of the Pontoon, now almost a collectors item, are being offered to new subscribers as bait were dally denied by members of the staff yesterday.

Frederick H. Gwynne '51, president of the magazine, told reporters yesterday, "This just proves what we always knew --moral standards in New England are higher than elsewhere in the country."