No Coach Till Early March

Athletic Committee Not to Convene Until Regular March 6 Meeting

By Peter B. Taub

Unless the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports takes unusual action, Harvard's next football coach will not be named until the Committee's regular meeting on March 6.

As of last night, no extra meeting had been scheduled. The Committee ordinarily convenes on the first Monday of the month.

It is reasonably certain that the Committee will pick a coach at its March meeting. Spring practice traditionally starts on March 15, and a now man will need at least a week to get his staff organized.

If a coach is not appointed March 6, Henry Lamar may conduct spring practice. Lamar, head freshman, coach, has assisted at spring practice in the past and would be able to fill in until the new coach took over. This would be a stopgap measure, however, for Lamar does not appear to be in the running for the head coaching job.

Purchase Football Equipment

One reason why the Committee has not yet taken may be that it is waiting for the Corporation to define the College's athletic policy. They Corporation is currently considering a report submitted by Provost Buck on February 6.

While it is in the power of the Corporation to abolish football altogether, this is not likely in view of the fact that the College recently purchased $40,000 worth of equipment from the New York football Yankees. The Yankees, who joined forces with the New York Balldogs in the newly formed National-American Professional League, sold the equipment for $8,000.

As far as a now coach goes, the field is narrowing down. Harvey Harman, Rutgers mentor, was in Boston last week on official Rutgers business concerning a Football Hall of Fame to be built in New Brunswick. Moreover, when Harman was being mentioned for the head coaching job at Pittsburgh, he wrote several Pittsburgh columnists that he was definitely not interested in any other coaching job.

Neither John Dell Isola, Dartmouth line coach, or Ray Riddick, coach of Lowell High's championship team, who have been mentioned as possible successors to Art Valpey, have applied for the job; nor has either man been approached by Harvard officials. Riddick commented "You can't be interested in something you don't know anything about."

William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, has been unavailable for comment since the CRIMSON carried a story last Frida, stating that Edward El. "Hooks" Mylin probably will be the next coach