Ted Schmitt of Pittsburgh Is First Coaching Aide Picked by Jordan

Theodore A. (Ted) Schmitt, of the University of Pittsburgh, yesterday became the first assistant named to the new College football coaching staff. The announcement came from Athletic Director William J. Bingham '16, who received Schmitt's recommendation from Lloyd Jordan.

The 33-year-old Pittsburgh native was graduated from Pitt in 1938. Playing tackle under Jock Sutherland, he was a member of Pitt's 1936 Rose Bowl eleven and the undefeated Panther team of 1937.

For three years following graduation, he played guard and tackle for the professional Philadelphia Eagles and also served as assistant football coach under Hank Scanlon at St. Joseph's Prep in Philadelphia.

In 1941, he became head coach at Sharen Hill (Pa.) High School and after four years in the Navy, during which time he was associated with the physical training program, he returned to Sharon Hill. He moved from there to Pitt in 1948.

Helped Coach Linemen

At Pitt, Schmitt coached the freshmen and scouted for the varsity. During spring practice and pre-season fall sessions he coached varsity linemen but once the season started he worked with the varsity only when his freshmen demonstration opposition plays.

Schmitt has never worked with Jordan or even met him in person. Jordan designated the appointee as an assistant coach, a title which will also be used for others he will choose latter.

Received M.A. in '47

Schmitt received his master's degree from Pitt in 1947. While in the Navy he coached Bloombsburg (N.J.) State Teachers for one year under the V-12 program.

"I am sincerely looking forward to my new job," Schmitt commented last night. He is married and has two sons, ages ten and three.

Schmitt did not know last night whether or not any of the other assistants at Pitt had been approached by Jordan, himself a former football player there. Jordan contacted Pittsburgh officials early this week and completed negotiations with Schmitt Wednesday.