THE MOVIEGOER

At the Esquire

By Daniel B. Jacobs

Turning from war films for the moment, Hollywood has managed to turn out a timely, well-acted version of I. A. R. Wylie's book, "Keeper of the Flame", attacking hidden enemies at home.

With Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy in the leading roles, and others like Perey Kilbridge, the witty Yankee taxi driver, Frank Craven and Richard Whorf supporting them, the entire cast turns in a collectively good job of acting. The picture starts with the death of Robert Forest, a prominent and well loved politician, soldier, and public benefactor who turns out to be an enemy agent. Tracy, an admiring newspaper man back from the world battlefronts, dedicates himself to writing the story of Forest's life. He encounters Katharine Hephurn, Forest's wife, and in the process of investigation discovers that she could have prevented the accident.

Further probing brings Forest's true character to light and the fact the his wife is shielding his guilt only to spare the public the disillusionment of knowing that the man in whom they had placed their trust had betrayed them.

The co-feature, staring William Tracey as an intelligent, and not too tough Army sergeant, is amusing, if ludicrous, this time concerning a platoon of rookies from Kenfuck', who refuse to obey commands not preceded by "you all."