Buck Plans No Present Increase in Tuition Fee

Sees Probable Revenue Loss of $900,000; Enrollment Likely to Decrease by A Third

By Douglas M. Fouquet

Provost Buck revealed yesterday that at present he has no plans for recommending any rise in tuition in the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Losses of Students to military service next year may result in a $900,000 drop in revenue, the Provost said. But for now, the College and GSAS hope to fill the gap partly by dipping into reserves and partly by "making all possible economies without sacrificing basic aims and values."

College enrollment will probably fall, by about a third or a fourth, and this will cut expenses as well as revenue--to some extent. In ordinary times the College might have expected 4,500 students next year, the Provost said, but current guesses as to undergraduate registration now run from 2,200 to 3,600.

Sources of Students

No matter what happens--barring any all-out war--College officials doubt that enrollment will fall below 2,200 at the very worst. Nobody can guess exactly what manpower provisions Congress will vote, but the College can count on students coming from such sources as men under draft age, 4-F's, and ROTC students.

In addition, the new student draft regulations may make it possible for some 18-year-olds to attend College and might even allow deferment for most of the current sophomore and junior classes.

No Faculty Discharges Seen

Although enrollment will fall, it is unlikely that Harvard will follow the lead of several colleges which recently announced that they would have to discharge several of their younger faculty men.

Harvard will, of course, need fewer teaching fellows and instructors, but officials here expect to solve the problem merely by appointing fewer new teaching fellows.