Golfers Take 6th In Eastern Meet

Crimson golfers fared poorly at the Eastern Intercollegiate Golf Championships held at Annapolis over the week end.

Coach Frank Richart's squad finished sixth in the field of 16 schools, trailing the University of Virginia, Princeton, Navy, Yale, and Penn State. Team standings were decided on the basis of the 36 hole medal scores of the four lowest scorers on each entering team.

Only 16 out of the field of 96 golfers qualified for the individual match play. Sole Harvard qualifier was Bill Timpson, who fired an 80-79--159. Medalist was Jim Ragland of Princeton, with a 76-73--149, over the tough, narrow Naval Academy course.

Timpson's 159 led Harvard qualifiers. Second was Captain Paul Weissman with an 81-81--162. Behind Weissman was Mitch Rosenholtz, with an 83-83--166. Fourth of the group that comprised the Crimson's 654 stroke total in the team standings was Dusty Burke, with an 84-83--167. Other Harvard entries were Jack Brophy and George Wheeling.

Because the first six varsity golfers were at Annapolis, the Crimson could do no better than 22nd in a field of 23 teams in the New England intercollegiate held at the Oakley Country Club Friday. Harvard entries were Dave Hedberg (88), John Sears (87), Phil Guarino (93), and Bill Bridges (86).