Nine Trips MIT, 5-4, for Third Win

Johnson Paces Attack With Homer, Double; Donelan Allows One Blow, Wins in Relief

By Winthrop Knowlton

Russ Johnson, the varsity baseball team's slugging first basemen, belted a double and a home run yesterday to drive in four runs and pace his mates to a well-earned 5 to 4 victory over M.I.T. on Briggs Field.

Collaborating with Johnson in the Crimson's third triumph of the season were Bernie Akillian, whose double to left field in the fifth inning scored Charley Walsh with the winning run, and righhander Jack Donclan, whose five innings of one hit relief pitching prevented the stubborn Engineers from tying the score.

Krinsky Scores

Johnson, who is now batting at a hefty .429 pace for the year, started things off for the visitors in the first inning by driving home Ed Krinsky, who had walked, with a double to the fence in left center. M.I.T. immediately tied the score, however, in their half of the first on lead-off man Bob White's homer off starter Rufus Webb.

In the fourth frame Johnson's long four-bagger over leftfielder Amos Dickson's head gave the Crimson what appeared to be a comfortable three-run cushion. It was his second circuit blow of the season and his seventh, eight, and ninth runs batted in.

But the Engineers came right back to tie it up again. Dickson walked, Bill Henderson singled, and Bob Danforth brought both of them home with a triple to right center field. Danforth scored a moment later when Webb bobbled Dick Morganster's squeeze bunt.

The Crimson broke the tie for good in the next inning when Walsh walked, went to second on catcher Stan Lenard's passed ball, and crossed the plate on Akillian's solid blow to left.

Over the last five frames reliefer Donelan gave up only one scratch hit. Four bases on balls kept him in hot water, however, and McInnis had righthanders Bob Ward and Pat Groper warming up in the bullpen off and on all afternoon.

Harvard stranded 13 runners on the base paths, M.I.T. nine. The Crimson played errorless ball and have now committed only three misplays in their last four games. HARVARD BOX SCORE   ab  r  h  po  a  e Krinsky, ss  1  2  0  2  5  0 Robinson, rf  4  1  0  0  0  0 Johnson, 1b  5  1  2  11  0  0 Walsh, c  4  1  1  6  0  0 Akillian, lf  3  0  1  1  1  0 Wise, 3b  4  0  2  2  5  0 Smith, cf  2  0  0  1  0  0 Young, 2b  4  0  0  4  4  0 Webb, p  2  0  0  0  1  0 Donelan, p  1  0  1  0  1  0 Totals  30  5  7  27  17  0