MacLeish, Levin Laud Plan For New Drama Workshop

By J. ANTHONY Lukas

Two University professors yesterday lauded the Dramatic Club's new acting laboratory as one of the most significant steps toward a Harvard theatre in recent years.

At the same time, the HDC announced that Lamont Library's Forum Room has been obtained for the weekly meetings of the lab. College regulations may, however, prevent women in the group from using the room.

Commenting on the formation of the laboratory, Archibald MacLeish, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, and Harry T. Levin '33, professor of English, yesterday both said it may well prove to be the final impetus needed to persuade the University to build a theatre.

"Superb Thing to Try"

"The lab is a truly superb thing to try," MacLeish said, "but it points up once again the lamentable fact that Harvard has no stage on which students can work out both the ends and means of drama. Every such indication that there is what everybody knows there is--a passionate interest in theatre at Harvard--is another step toward a theatre building and a vital dramatic program at the College."

Levin called the birth of the program "a very hopeful development in the history of Harvard theatre." He said, "It may ultimately lead to the growth of a really active theatre here."

The professors disagreed however on the need for acting courses within the curriculum. "It is quite appropriate," said Levin, "that this lab should be an extracurricular activity. Although we do have courses in dramatic literature here, this sort of technical thing can best be done outside the classroom."

Not Quite a Craft

On the other hand, MacLeish declared, "Although I agree with most of my colleagues that the University should not teach crafts, I feel that acting does not quite fit within that category. I hesitate to propose a course in acting; nevertheless, I feel it wholly appropriate that officers of the University should concern themselves with that particular skill and knowledge."

The lab is a present a completely extra-curricular affair and has no official University sponsorship.

Neil Smith '55, HDC president, yesterday said the lab would charge two dollars as registration for the full-year program. This will serve as the regular membership dues for students who finish the lab and then want to join HDC.

Smith said he expects very few expenses in running the lab, since the four teachers, who include Robert Chapman, Professor of English and Mrs. Mary Howe are volunteering their services.