Eastern Swim Tourney Opens at IAB Tonight

By Ronald P. Kriss

The gruelling 1500-meter freestyle event opens the 13tyh annual Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming Championships at the Indoor Athletic Building tonight at 7:30 p.m.

Yale promises to dominate the first installment of the three-day circus, and the following two as well. The 1500-meter is the lone event on tap tonight, and the Elis may well place four men.

At least two of the record-breaking "Three M's"--John Marshall, Jimmy McLane, and Wayne Moore--will race for Eli, along with Marty Smith and Frank Chamberlain. Marshall holds the EIST, record--18:22.8 minutes--which he set here in 1951. The Crimson will enter one man, Dick Fouquet.

Thirty teams and over 210 swimmers will compete for the individual titles, but only 29 of the squads will be fighting for second-place team honors. Bob Kiphuth's Blue streaks are virtually certain to retain their crown, and they may compile an even more impressive record than they did last year (eight out of 14 first places).

Yale has every one of its 1952 winners, and more. Last year, the Elis lost the 50-yard freestyle to Rutgers' Bob Nugent; this year the Elis Kerry Donovan, who will beat Nugent. Last year, the Elis lost the 100 and 200-yard breast-stroke events to Princeton's Bob Brawner; Brawner has graduated, and the Elis have both Dennis O'Connor and Stanton Smith.

Hal Ulen's Crimson figures to keep its second-place status for the third straight year. The Crimson's major hope for a first place--in fact, its only hope--is diver Pete Dillingham. In 1952, Dillingham won the one-meter dive; the year before, he took the three-meter dive.

This year, his major competition again comes from Yale's Kenny Welch and Navy's Owen Davies. The Crimson senior defeated them both this season on the high board, and bested them last year on the low board.

In the remaining events, the Crimson can only hope for second--or worse. (Scoring works on a 7-5-4-3-2-1 basis. A team may enter only four men in each event, with a limit of three events per man.)

Dave Hedberg in the 100-yard freestyle and in the relays--the 400-yard freestyle and the 300-yard medley--should help the Crimson score seconds or thirds. Ken Emerson and Ralph Zani in the breast-stroke events should also do well.